Become a Life Coach

Career and Success Resources

Discussion

Testimonials

Help

My Life Coach Discussion

Author   Comment  
whitelight

Hi, I recently became familiar with 16 personality type system and i just found out i am an INTP and that explains a major problem I have been having.

When i went to college I changed my major about 6 times. with jobs, I have been hopping around alot. Whenever I start something new, I really get excited but After a while i lose interest, i get bored and look for something new.

The same goes for my hobbies. therefore, i am like jack of all trades, i know alittle bit of everything but nothing in depth. I wish i knew what to do, it is very frustrating. I start but never finish. Alot of time, energy and money goes to waste. right now, I am struggling financially because of that.

Please let me know what I should do?

Thanks

mylifecoach

Site Owner

Hi whitelight,

That is a great question, and you are right, INTP's can fall into this pattern...

Throughout all your life, and all the things you have done, is there one interest that you have always had, maybe even separate from careers?  One thing that you always seem to go back to?  Or one skill or situation that always seems to challenge you, even if sometimes in different settings?

http://www.CoachMichele.com
http://www.twitter.com/coachmichele
http://www.facebook.com/coachmichelecaron
http://www.linkedin.com/in/michelecaron
Square_Peg

I have faced similar problems in my career. I have changed 3 three jobs in 4 years. I have finally taken a call and plan to concentrate on being a freelance web and software developer.

Being an INTP, I too tend to lose interest in things very easily.  I just  love  to  ideate  and  come  up  with  possible solutions to problems at hand. But once I have done my thinking bit, I immediately lose interest in it.

Its interesting to read posts on this forum, it does provide some insights into the problems INTPS face in life.

mylifecoach

Site Owner

Hi "Peg",

Sounds like you made a smart move getting into the freelance work...

You may be able to increase your level of just working on the things you enjoy over time if you have your own business.

Yes, INTP's are infamous for only being interested in figuring out the problem in their head, and not necessarily needing to see the implementation.  Perhaps if the INTP can be more involved in the trouble-shooting of the first implementation, interest can be generated.

Like anything in life, a vision for your future that tells you why you are doing what you are doing may help get you over the less challenging parts...But at the same time striving to design your life such that you maximize the fun parts is a great plan!

http://www.CoachMichele.com
http://www.twitter.com/coachmichele
http://www.facebook.com/coachmichelecaron
http://www.linkedin.com/in/michelecaron
Ben

Hi Whitelight

Have you considered, that maybe you are jumping around a lot because you haven't found the thing that will hold your attention and your interest for longer.  Maybe a field that is constantly evolving and providing new challenges for you.

Also, how long do you think it will be...

before you get bored with jumping around so much

and decide to try something new...

something like sticking with a job or career long enough to discover that it is always changing and frequently offers new angles. 

Long enough to discover that as your knowledge and wisdom builds through time, you gain new insights that allow you to tackle things in different ways and apply your knowledge differently and so get varied results.

Just a thought...... :-)

bfoster

Pro Member
I've come across this problem often. I don't subscribe to the myers briggs personality type so I can offer a different perspective. These people often stumble onto what they enjoy doing but they get bored and move on, often to something worse. Typically these are creative types (or have ADD or both) and need constant stimulation and to their consternation, enjoy starting new things than finishing old projects.

I use a two pronged approach with these clients. I ask them to examine the joy they find in starting new things. Often there is euphoria and excitement when they begin something but the discernment about whether this is really something they want to do is missing. The newness is what is exciting. I ask them to hold off on beginning new projects, to chew on it and see if it is something that really fits their life. I had a client who had tried everything from beekeeping to painting to carpentry. Turns out she was allergic to bees, had little talent for painting and was bored by carpentry.

The second prong is introducing them to the joy of completing projects. I had difficulty finishing things too so I had to learn this part. I never realized how satisfying it felt to finish something and I denied it to myself. Once these pieces are in place I ask them to limit the number of projects they have on the go so they don't get overwhelmed which is how they felt when they first came to see me.

Coach Bradley

Guy

Great question.  I've found that it helps to focus on what you really like doing in life.  When we look deep inside ourselves and figure out what we love to do we can then take action in that direction.  For example: If you love writing you could figure out ways to use your amazing energy to write.  We can even do a variety of things but it's helpful and also calming to focus more on the things that are really significant to us.  It's great to have many talents and interests so, in the end, the only indicator of whether we're really happy in life is whether we are enjoying what we're doing at the deepest levels.  If we feel deeply fulfilled then we know we're on the right path.

Take care,

Guy
http://lifecoachtips.wordpress.com
http://www.myrelationshipguy.com/lifecoach

bfoster

Pro Member
Something to consider is that you creatives need variety and constant stimulation to feel happy and satisfied. We all need a certain amout of variety and stability in our lives. Creatives are the outliers on the variety side and are willing to give up a lot of stability in search of it. Search for careers that offer a lot of variety, learning and growth to keep you happy. Things like repairing, rather than manufacturing, or where you are often in new situations, meeting new people. A lot of change and variety within one career can help keep you stimultated and focused and help you stick with your choice. Not surprisingly I am a creative and I find coaching to be very stimulating because I meet a lot of new people and every issue I deal with is different and a challenge. I like that a lot and I wouldn't give up coaching for all the tea in China.
Trykstyr

I just found out I too am INTP.  I vehemently hate the fact that I get so bored so easily all the time no matter what I'm doing.  I have never held a job more than 1.5 years.  I am trying to write a book.  Even though I LOVE the subject and feel passionate about the story arch, the thought of getting into it and commiting it to "paper" is almost torturous.  My fiance always asks me why I don't work on my book more and I always tell her "I have no idea..."  I hate this about me and I KNOW it has wrecked my life.  I have been to 3 colleges and haven't graduated any of them.  I would love to get a degree in chemistry but I know the second I start it, I will be bored and drop out of another school.  I am in weight watchers for the second time and its always the same.  Do great for about a month or two and then I just give up and fatten back up.  WIth my wedding comming up next year, I want to drop about 50 lbs so I got P90X.  It goes well for about 2 weeks and then I just don't want to do it anymore.  And with all this, getting results are meaningless.  I noticed a nice corded oblique muscle and got super excited, but STILL it didnt matter.  I quit doing it, school, novel, writing, etc etc etc.  I'm about tired of it.  My credit is at a 425 beacon and everything in life is failing because I just can't get motivated to do anything after I get bored.  I feel very defeated and betrayed by my own self.

drummer75

Almost an accurate summary of my life as well.  Marriage and 4 kids helped me focus on a career, nursing, that I now loathe with a passion.  I truly believe I can do or be anything I want to be or do, I just don't want to do or be anything for any significant length of time.  I know my family, including my wife, thinks I am lazy.  It's not laziness.  I am just consumed with my thoughts and struggles.  INTPs like you and I are such outliers that we do not fit in with the structure of this society.  It was created for and is used by extroverts.  There is a great deal of irony in our situation, if you look for it.
JessicaReddy

Drummer, 

I am struck by your comment that you are consumed with your thoughts and struggles. 

What would your life be like if you were not consumed by your thoughts and struggles?  Could you imagine that life?

Just curious...
VivekAgarwal

Dear Ones,

I've find this Habbit very common now a days. I call this the 3rd Love of Ego. If this Love is not managed PROPERLY, It will make the path to success very very TOUGH.

To Manage it, it has to be understood first :

1. Our Ego Loves to LEARN & DO new things. This is becuse it expands while learning new things. There is a similar expansion when we are very happy.  So, When we start new things, there is a LOT to learn. Our Ego gets a lot of juice. There is a lot of progress. But, as the time passes by the food of Ego (learning & progress) keeps reducing and Ego sees more Juice in another new thing!! & it forces us to shift.

2. Before starting some thing NEW, Our Mind is full of excitement. It is important to understand the reason of excitement. It is Excited because, at the time of starting new things, Our mind is full of BRIGHT IMAGES of  positive end result. But, As the time passes by, Whenever we think of it, we find our mind full of dull & boring Images of day to day activities and problems. Again, the Mental Images of another new task is very Bright & Juicy!! & forces us to shift.

Being aware of this, Game of Ego itself is a solution.

Dear Friend, In the Bhagwat Geeta, there is a phrase which says "Intlligent people (A Karma Yogi) start things with a definite Goal in mind, & then finds all the Juice in path to the goal itself. They dont attach too much Juice to the end Result"

I need atleast 2 Hours in my workshops to teach my clients manage their Ego. I'll Write a Blog here soon. 

Namaste!!

INTPhil

Wow! I'm 41 and my whole life I have gotten bored with pretty much everything. I get bored with things so easily that its frustrating. I always thought it was something to do with the many blows to the head I had received when i was younger (nothing sinister I might add, just unlucky - hit with rocks, boulders dropped on my head, serious car crash at 6 months old (i wasn't driving)). 

Ironically I know I will get bored with this forum, but I can't help it...

I have lived in 7 cities/towns in 2 countries, 5 schools (not by choice), moved 32 times, had 12 main jobs... you get the picture.

I have had countless hobbies/interests - some simple and some more involved. I get the high from starting but some lose interest and become bored. I sometimes try to force myself to carry on but still give up.

I have spent years trying to understand what it might be. I have to admit that as the years have passed I have become more detached with my feelings (actually, I control them more).

With what I have read from others in this thread there is too much I can relate to for this not to explain things - even down to the wanting to figure things out and create the solutions but not actually do the leg work

The only consistent thing throughout the years is my drawing. I do find it hard to complete drawings sometimes but 90% of them get completed...

Anyway, i felt compelled to write this and it's comforting to know that I am not the only one out there

I am currently creating my own Business Consultancy company which when I think about it after reading this would suit me to the ground...

amazing, all of this...

Freestone39

Hey, So I am 26 years old, and a lot of these posts describe exactly how I am feeling, and it's getting really tough mentally. "Jack of all trades, Master of none" is how I have felt since I was in high school. This was mostly with sports, but as I've gotten older, I've thought more and more of what I wanted to do and I feel like all I want to do is learn new things. I've been to College for 3 different programs and I haven't finished any of them. I love video games and play a lot of them, but I'll rarely get to the end. I feel like I have the ability to do anything in the world I want, and want to go back to school to study Astrophysics. But then I'll watch a movie, or cinematic in a video game, and I decide that I want to be an Animator for Film or Games. This pattern is reoccurring and I become scared to commit to something because I fear I will change my mind and decide I want to go a different way. I don't know what is wrong with me, or what to do about it. The worst part is that I know what my problem is, but feel helpless to change the way I naturally am.
successcoach

Freestone39,

I can relate to participating in multiple sports and doing so many activities. For me, it helped to set some small goals and then reward myself after finishing a goal. Eventually it turns into a habit and helped to focus me on getting things finished.

Best Wishes,
Successcoach
http://wemakechampions.com

foxfol

Just let ease .Don't worry so much . You will conque it ! Believe you !Come on !
DejanDavcevski

Hello, I am Dejan and if you are bored I can help you.
You can also learn how to be happy in the process.
Check my site Code Of Happiness and your boredom will be terminated by the
Interesting and helpful information you will find!
I love to help!
Delta39

Hi, it's good to know I'm not the only person in the world with this problem that is consuming my life bit by bit, I can't stick to one project I set in mind, I keep changing ideas all the time, as a result i couldn't hod a job for more than a year and end up unemployed most of the time, in one hand it feels natural just part of me to not follow my projects till the end but at the back of mind I know it's a real a problem I have in me, everything seems uncertain around me, i just hate it when I feel excited about something but after I think about it for a while it feels impossible to reach or just so boring, for instance if i start learning to cook for few days, then I feel extremely bored of trying to learn how to cook again, so it's not just not starting something and finishing it but not able to keep something going, I can go on and on forever about how this is affecting me, I wish there is a solution for this I can use out there, anything that will help me, another thing is when i found this website few months ago I had a thought to post a message for few seconds in my mind but then I changed my mind, i started thinking what's the point, it's like myself is my enemy, trying to bring me down all the time, all the things that could benefit my life i turned them down and when I hold something good for a while I turn away from it to something worse. some people thing I'm lazy or a failure but I'm not I can be very competitive and energetic at times just don't know how to find the balance to keep it going, my mind feels crowded with ideas and nowhere to start. since I graduated nearly 4 years ago I've been living in a tornado and not knowing what's going on.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Copyright © Michele Caron, 2002-2014