Discussion

Testimonials

Help

My Life Coach Discussion
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 4 of 6      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   Next
mylifecoach

Site Owner
Hey!  Great success (for you, if not your collar!)

Let us know how it continues to go...

bizzcontact

hey 1 more INTP looking to your help

bizzcontact

yeah i am 1 more to join your group

[QUOTE=mylifecoach]Hey, any other INTP's out there?

I am an INTP and am a Life Coach, consultant and run this site.

It is often hard for INTP's to find their place.

What do you do? Are you fulfilled?[/QUOTE]
uminum23

hey my names Eric im 19 years old and an fairly regular INTP.  I am very curious, and get wildly excited when presented with a problem to solve or phenomenon to break down.  I analyse everything, at first the pursuits of the sciences such as astronomy, physics, and chemistry quenched my thirst for knowledge.  After that came the history of the US and finding out where our country came from in detail- but to be honest sometimes i feel that i just liked a class in this subject because i could show other people how much of a logical force i was capable of when i was motivated enough to preform.  I eventually felt satisfied enough with my knowlege in both that i moved on- a rather large problem looming on my life, and started reasearching my "final frontier" the infinite rehlm of pshycology.  For the past two years I have read large amounts of psycology, self help, and books on theory.  I first got interested in the topic i beleive because also in the INTP mix i have depression and social anxiety.  I get very afraid in social situations, I feel sometimes that if i dont have a compleatly finished "map" of my reality and the interactions that are happening around me, I freeze causing the anxietty and later those experiences built up may cause the depression.  I have this unrelenting drive to better myself to the point of perfection, I deep down want to be perfect not in a robotic way but more in a way that i will be able to be knowlegeable and good at everything, and have everyone that i like to like me back in return.  I have done and will do almost anything to reach this goal and a lot of the time feel unable of happiness without it.  Maybe for this reason i began to take antidepressants and cognative behavioral therapu to subdue my anxiety and make me more capable of being the best person i possibly can.  The drugs and psycotherapy and deep psychological work have made me become more comfortable with myself.  I am able to communicate well with people and now after learning about sub communication and social cues i can use my intuitiveness to at times "read minds".  But although I am much more balanced in terms of extroversion, I am definately an introvert.  I am slowly learning how to rely on my strong intuition over my dominant thoughts to stay present in situations and not zone out in useless anylysation that just caused me problems.  I use no emotions to make decisions and am a strong P that sees little to no need to folowing social norms- in other words I just care about results not the route.  I am a heavy procrastinator and am usualy 2nd best at EVERYTHING i do then ditch it after its been mastered.  SO WHAT SHOULD I DO?  I dislike computer work and favor more artistic and more social activities generaly- not too social more like just not deskwork all day, math....
Ive thought of many things but have a lot of trouble deciding, i see analyse both sides to every situations to a fault.  But in general I know the things that make me the most happy.  I like to use my hands- slowly- with precision- letting my minds intuition relax my thinking function and my ability to predict and "see" things as they happen do all the work.- glass blowing, messed around with painting(bob ross imitation-little ability to draw from scratch), movies, and music making.  and the perfectionist in me drives me to become a guru of sorts.  Someone who is the ultimate authority on the subject he chooses.  I want to create something that i can see make a difference in lives.  I want to connect with people.  I want to not stop and participate in a "craft" until i become the best and my creation is proof of it.- have sarcasticly told people i want to become a apprentice blacksmith but recently have even though of owning a vinyard- where i could experiment with growing, pressing, and fermenting options that would make the best wine possible.  My best trait is being able to transcend "the box". My focus on results in me not caring on anything else I am litterally such an experimenter that i will try anything if it makes sence in my little reality/ intuition.  But i need to feel it, i need constant motivation, i almost need hardship to overcome, and i need to be in the end productive, see the results of my actions, and effect people.  I would REALY appreciate advice and the perfectionist outcome oriented personality of mine is extremly objective and open the even the harshest constructive critisism, so be honest and let me know if you have any pursiuts in mind for me.

Thanks Eric
glassycreek

hi my name is Cristina 
i am 19 and is going to start college in just a few days 
i am going for an english major even thought i may not be that good at it 
but the reason why i am going for an english major is because i want to be a creative writer. my mom doesn't take me seriously (she rather have me being a nurse like she is, but i don't like the job. i seen what nurses do). at first i wanted to be a lawyer or go for something for law but i found that i really don't like someone constantly enforcing the stupid rules and i don't want to be stupid. but then again being a lawyer, you find cool ways to deal with the law. but i found that i am more creative. i draw pretty good 
and i also like writing but i have a problem with finishing 
i tried writing a story just now but i am having trouble finishing it 
so my questions are
how am i suppose to be a creative writer when i am having hard time writing a story?
and if i do research how i am suppose to write it down for readers because their not me?
are there famous intp writers out there?
if i am really intp would i be a good writer?

because if i am going to be a writer. i want to be a good one. i want to be recognized for my work. i want to be able to afford a independent life. 
homestretch

I am an INTP, female, 50.  As it turns out, I have made a fairly successful career by accepting the fact that as an INTP I will always be an outsider.  It is my underlying brand although I obviously never state it that way. 

My career has been spent working on large HR projects including research, strategy, design, gap analysis, building a strawman, focus groups, implementation, communication, etc.  I get to focus on one or two projects typically, and it is varied and complex enough to keep me very interested.  It's usually a win-win between me and the organization I am working for. 

I have mostly performed this work in HR management consulting firms (this is not IT work, my degree is social sciences).  In this employment situation, I am an outsider forging an effective short term relationship with large clients (12 to 24 months usually). The work is demanding, especially if you have children but I seem to have survived it ok.

I have also been directly employed by large employers to do similar work but in-house.  In this situation, I am still an outsider, hired on when the employer is floundering trying to transition from strategy to execution.  I am hired because senior management has determined that the employees they have on staff are not positioned to undertake the work.  These have mostly been enjoyable assignments.  I report to senior managers which means a continous feed of strategic information and plenty of support from above.  I have tried to stay on with these employers once the project is up and running but I have found I am not happy unless the job is at least 50% special projects.  I don't mind some routine work - how else can you determine the flaws and make recommendations to fix them?  The trouble is that I also need the strategic flow of information.  These sorts of connections to senior management can dry up pretty quickly once that important initiative is done and their focus is elsewhere.

A third type of opportunity I have had is managing hr programs which were in various stages of their lifecycle - not yet needing a major overhaul but interesting enough due to all the stakeholders, etc.  These jobs are highly sought after, have a people-management component, so you need to be territorial and political to stay on that perch.  A change in the organizational chart can easily knock you off the perch.  The work is relatively easy for an INTP but the territorial/political part has been my undoing. 

I am job hunting again.  Somewhere out there, there is a project floundering and I'll be back in the game.  
kelsey_153

Well hey everyone, glad to see that there are more like us out in the universe. 

I am of younger generation status like a couple of you, 19 years old. I'm a sophomore in college, and I'm in kind of a proverbial rut that seems to be common with us INTP. I know I have varied between ENTP and INFP over the years but it's predominantly been INTP.

As I was reading your posts I got the impression that there is someone in at least a small percentage of your families with the INTP disorder and as I was thinking about it, if it were anyone it would be my mother. She's worked in many different jobs and now is doing something quite like what homestretch has done.

Anyway, my major right now is Film Studies. (Which is not Film, it's the study of film, a lot less demanding and frankly more dull.) I go back and forth a lot with what I want to do and I know that my brain is wired for Mathematics but I really avoid it if at all possible. I like Sciences but I never seem to do as well in them. I like to think of myself as more artistic and interpersonal. 

I guess I just need help in figuring out what would be a good career path for me or major even, that is sort of a circumference of a lot of different things. 

My interests, as everyone else's vary almost to the point of contradictory at times (I like to call myself a contradiction, because we kind of are if you think about it. Which I know you do.) 
I'm big on art; I make magazine collages and that's been something I have been doing for a long time, years. I love finding the words and phrases that mean something to my life and putting them together in a great big collage. They usually look pretty cool. Sometimes I get in a rut and can't finish them but I usually go back awhile later and get everything out and try again. 

I love film and for a long time I wanted to be an actor or director in high school, but ended up leaning more to director because I worked as Student Director for our plays and really fit well with the high intensity of opening night...and now I'm leaning more towards Producer or Art Director. I hardly know anything about the latter but it always appealed to me. I fiddled with the idea of graphic design last year but didn't take any classes, (my previous major advisor wasn't very helpful), but it still interests me. I am good with computers but not with the math aspect of coding and stuff. 

I love to travel, but after awhile I like to stay in one place. I can work in a group but I'd much rather work alone. I am a big procrastinator, probably because I'm just not interested in doing something. I actually am sort of a long the same lines as Eric, I'm lazy right now and don't want to write all that out. I look at all sides to an issue and most times feel like I'm completely misunderstood. I can't really stick to something for a really long period of time.

A short list of career paths I could possibly take (I'm really indecisive) are:
Book editor, Producer, Film editor, Forensic research, Graphic designer, Photographer, Psychologist, Interior design, Art direction, writing... etc.

All my friends tell me different things, that I should be a fashion designer (I'm not a great drawer, I can do it but you have to tell me what to draw), that I should be a writer (which I don't really want to do, I feel I'm not imaginative enough to carry out such a daunting task, though I have started many writing projects which eventually got discarded; I read somewhere, that the best writer is one who doesn't want to write), that I could be a life coach; which would be fun because I shell out great advice to others but never apply it to myself. 

I need serious help. If you need any more info I will be glad to give it to you. 

glassjailer

Wow- So many fascinating posts by people who seem to be so much like myself!

I wish I could offer more advice from personal experience, but alas-- I am just an INTP "puzzle-solver" type, confronted with the ultimate puzzle: life. And I'm aware....Oh so very aware, that perhaps this career puzzle is insolvable. And perhaps that is precisely the entire point.

I'm 28, female, very INTP (and steadily), and I wholeheartedly identify with so much of what has been shared on this forum. I "don't know what I want to do with my life", and feel unsatisfied by what I do now/have done. Currently, I am dishing out deli salads in a large natural foods grocery. There are some perks to the job such as solving customers "eating puzzles". We have lots of folks who come in and are are intolerant of this or that, are very particular about what they eat, or just want tons of info on what they consume. Since one of my passions is natural health/food/cooking, I have instant access to just the right information for my customers. I find this satisfying...when someone approaches me feeling apprehensive about what to eat, feeling sick from eating the wrong things, confused, seeking responsible, mature, and unbiased guidance and advice about the materials that will become their future bodily cells... I like that aspect of the job. I love researching food related info, and have a near photographic memory for things I'm interested in, so regurgitating facts like a google search engine on all things organic, gourmet, illness-related, and health optimizing is quite rewarding.
What I hate about it- Nearly everything else. I am on display all day long, like a performing muppet. I must be pleasant, personable, and never display "negative" emotions (I've been reprimanded on occasion for my sour/stressed looks). I often want to withdraw, recoup my energies... but that is not an available option. Nearly half the job requirements involve cleaning and stocking, and while I've trained myself to be good at those things, everyday I ask myself if my "glorious potential" will be put on hold yet again so that I can pay my rent and eat this week.It really grinds out my last remaining shreds of humanity, and I feel like I am no better than a robot. Oh, and I make poverty level wages, and serve people who make way more money than me (even when I secretly know that I could run mental/intellectual circles around most of them).
Not a job I see lasting much longer. I've been with it for 6 months.
Before that, I was running tax audits for corporations.. also soul grinding/unethical, but it provided me with near complete autonomy, minimal social interaction, and while the work was exceptionally tedious, I liked the hunt. I was essentially given access to a room full of paperwork, and instructed to locate certain documents that fulfilled a very specific criteria. Depending on a number of factors, the documents were fairly simple to identify... just needed to be sure to get all of them. Some individual documents represented hundreds of thousands of dollars of income for my clients and employers...
But built into this position was the constant drive to expand, produce etc... When the economy stopped marching onwards and upwards, the position simply ceased to have any meaning, and I was out of a job overnight. So if anyone was like.."ooh. Sounds like a great job for me!" Unfortunately, it no longer exists.

I'm thinking about something called health coaching, or figuring out how to become a holistic health systems advocate (if it even exists). I don't have the requisite degrees to make this happen just yet, but I see a significant need for it currently and in the future, have a strong interest in said topics/jobs, feel it would offer independence of scheduling/time, and would really help people who are confused and sick and need someone who will compassionately, ethically, and highly intelligently help them manouver themselves through the "healthcare system" back to real and sustainable health.

I guess that is all I can go into right now. I think the one thing that has really helped me as an INTP is this-- As problem solvers, we only feel content and at peace when the problem has been finally solved. But for problems with no clear or easy solution, we perpetually pace that inner sanctum of our skulls, blindingly racking our thoughts for some unturned key that will solve the verdommed puzzle. Maybe the point is a hidden one, and solving the puzzle will not give us peace... I don't know. It's late, and I'm getting gritty computer eyeballs, and I wish you all the greatest success in finding "your bliss"...
GJ

SueSue367

Hi Michelle, I think I'm the typical INTP. I've never excelled in any career because I got frustrated/bored too quickly when it came to the administrative tasks. I haven always dreamed of being a designer; perhaps an industrial or creative designer, and also have a strong leaning toward anything having to do with animal welfare and the ecology/environment, and so at times considered becoming a veterinarian, environmentalist, marine scientist, teacher, and even considered running away to live and work on a dude ranch, which at the time seemed to coalesque my love for animals and interest in ecology (the environment/outdoors). At one time I also considered an art career; and, as to my interest in a teaching career: I have only ever been interested in teaching at the college or advanced high school levels... I have no interest in wiping kids' noses and cleaning crayon off walls and all the other gaff that constitutes a grammar teacher's life (how horrible of me!) I've begun to feel that all these "pre-requisites" to action, combined with my easily bored nature, lack of assertiveness, drive, and perceverance have proven to be my downfall. In these ways, I guess I would characterize myself as a "lazy" person. Neither have I ever been exceedingly good at math -- at least never was in school. Oddly thou, outside of school I find myself discovering new ways to approach mathematical problems that weren't considered in my formal education. I can say that I'm better than most persons my age at solving complex mathematical equations, but alas, I don't hold any degree (based on my prior experience with institutionalized analytical learning, I doubt much could be accomplished in that regard). Unfortunately many of my interests require advanced education in mathematics. So here I feel terribly frustrated because I feel like a piece of paper is keeping me from doing things for which I have a natural aptitude and interest. I'm also the classic right/left brain dysfunctional, having always been in honors english classes in high school and later in college. My professors and people who know me continue to hound me to publish, but I don't feel I have anything to write about because I don't have a very interesting life, so what's the point? Now as an office worker the drudgery of my days is building to an unbearable point. It's all so frustrating sometimes.

INTP_LV

Hi, I read through many of the posts and found them to be very familiar to my heart and I'm glad to be able to read through and gain some insight.

What I wanted to share was that I have always been very unsure of what I wanted to be. My vocational choices have changed from paralegal to lawyer, doctor, to financial planner. My main goal was to makes lots of money to have financial freedom but none of the jobs that make the most money interested me. In my opinion, they were never difficult to succeed in. Its just that after my research on the job itself, which would usually be pretty extensive, I would change my mind and move onto something else.

I have had a pretty successful career in real estate. I've left a blossoming career in another state because I was afraid that it would be the end of my growth if I remained there. I needed change so I left. I made my decision and booked a one to Las Vegas and never turned back. I took a management job and learned the business the best I could. I learned that it just takes the willingness to work a little harder than everyone else to make you successful so I moved up in the company. I learned what I wanted to learn, saw that it was meaningless, and quit after 3 years.

I went back into real estate and it has been going strong. I have absolutely nothing to complain about. My clients like me and my work and its fun most of the time but I starting to want change again. I think about traveling and I think about jumping out of planes. I want adventure and I need more adrenaline. I don't do anything as a hobby thats physical enough but I think about just doing it. Life is so short and I just want more! I drive myself crazy all the time. I can't stick to anything even though I do it well because something inside of me screams out "There is More!" 

I'm 28 this year and I feel like I will forever be this way. Where next? Who knows? There's never any peace. My mind will wander from one thing to the next and I don't know how to be otherwise. The only answer that I have found is that happiness is within so no matter what happens, I am happy with it. As far as a job goes though...I'm still working on it.
injun

I'm an 54y.o. intp male that is finally starting to understand a few things, but many questions remain.  My career has progressed strangely over time since 15: cabinet maker, fry cook, commercial electrician, electro/mechanical assemblymen, expeditor, production scheduler, production planner, master scheduler, domestic sales supervisor, international sales supervisor, inside sales supervisor, regional sales manager, production/logistics, purchasing, repair manager, picture frame shop owner, inside sales manager, resort reservations operator, furniture salesman, graphic display business owner. Now I find myself trying to transition yet again.  
I would not give anything for my experiences, but must say that trying to navigate 'in the doldrums' between major changes has consumed a lot of energy, money and life.  It astounds me to see people who have been in one career (and sometimes company).  
If I had it all to do over, I would definitely try to slug it out and get a technical degree in science; such as engineering.  I know that I would not stay in that field, but the creds will get you into other things with no questions.  
The second thing would be to accept that a career does not mean 'a position, field or company'.  Maybe it simply means 'a wild journey'.  For INTP's, the best strategy might be to position yourself so that you 'get in the way of big problems' as much as you can.  
The 3rd would be to get experience in being your own boss as soon as you can, but don't go full time until you get some real-world philosophy under your belt.  
The 4th would be to keep your financial debt low through your whole life.  Down the road, your experiences will more than outweigh your collected stuff.  Unplanned transitions will destroy the mountains you have built.  Better to dance lightly on this earth.  Opportunities geographically move, but mansions do not!  
The 5th would be to 'mate carefully' so that you can dance lightly.  This does not mean to avoid having children.  That experience can be your best one.

I think that consultancy is the next place for me.  My own think tank would be perfect.

Good Hunting!
INTP_LV

Hi Injun,

I've decided to print out your post. I found it to be very applicable to me. Thank you for sharing.

Shrinking

I am about 40 years old and have never posted comments on any site. Career-wise, I think that I have reached a plateau (or peak-depending on the day that I look at it). I've always have or made options, which is both a blessing and a curse.

I began working part-time at 13 because I wanted to learn something new and make a little money in the process. Since then, I have continued to pursue jobs for the same reason. Lastly, I have a BBA and MBA.

For the past 12 years, I have been a consultant, mainly in the sales, marketing, and supply chain arena. I would describe my consulting as more pair-of-hands consulting (Block, 1981), in which I take projects and do chores that senior executives abhor, but need. Initially, this type of work was exciting because I got to see new environments and learn new things. I can honestly say within business and non-profits, I have seen it all. Everything seems to be the "same", with little differences among, people, processes, and environments. This sameness has caused me to ask, what's new to learn? If people, processes, environments, and structures are all the same, then what new stone can I look under? Plus, as time as passed, I have become quite frustrated with people in business mostly focusing on "how" to complete a task, rather than asking "why" a person refuses to complete the task (one exception root cause analysis, which is still very "how" focused).

As a result of the "sameness", I thought that pursuing a PhD in something would allow me to gain new complex knowledge. Earlier this year, I began a PhD in Org Behavior at a top school. Thinking this arena would be different, I quickly realized that although the type of work is different (I have to publish "peer-reviewed" articles in top research journals (constantly)), the structure is very similar to corporations in which impression management, competition, and being aggressive seem to be highly valued. Not being a competitor with others, but rather myself, I found this reality to be very disenchanting. Moreover, I thought that in academics, I would make consistent money, with no pressure - the money is better than I thought (9mos=$130K), but the pressure to produce is enormous.

My alternative, is to return to the inconsistent life of consulting, in which I do a consulting gig for 9 months (pretty much all I can take working with the "same" people), then two months without a project in which I have to network to get another one. An earlier poster stated that she is on to the next project - which is cool, but I have a family that consistently needs a paycheck.

So my question: which misery (I seriously am that jaded, so please no *positive talk* like "change your occurring" =), is better - going back to consulting or finishing the program? 

1.    Are there any Org. Behavior academics INTP out there?

2.    If so, have you enjoyed competing, being recognized, and constantly writing? Any suggestions?

3.    Also, in order to complete the OB program, I may have to work on the side and simultaneously learn this new craft - since focus is better for an INTP, is this advisable?

4.    Lastly, do you think that this career is worth the entire headache, especially since the only passion I seen to have at present is to be "left alone."

I am married to a wonderful ENFP, who "gets me" and have a daughter, who I think is absolutely amazing. My wife thinks that I will not like any career; as such, she thinks that academics is complex, and therefore, will keep me busy for 30-40 years. I think the writing aspect is complex (there is a particular form and logic pattern used in most mgmt. (OB) articles), but once I get that, then what? Am I missing something? The only other thing that would be complex is learning how to maneuver to the people minutia?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

deej0

i am a 21 yr old intp female (have known that i was an intp for years)

i love learning new things, but found highschool boring and not challenging enough.  i excel in science, art (design), writing, humanities/social sciences, and am good at math and am very outdoorsy.

i know that i want to go to university/college (probably university, as it is more theory, which i enjoy), but i dont know what i want to study.  not that there is a lack of options, but too many.  like most intps (im assuming) i do very well at whatever i put my mind to... but only for a short amount of time.  then i get burnt out/bored, and become a poor worker, and have to move onto the next job.

i have worked as a graphic designer, and i enjoyed the creativity and freedom, but i dont want to be stuck inside an office all the time, and i find it less enjoyable when i have to take projects from clients that i dont actually want to do.  i also worked as a whitewater rafting guide.  i love being outdoors and active, and loved learning about the mountains/rivers/landscapes, but get very worn out having to deal with the people that would come on the tours.

i am thinking of going to school to study geology.  are there any geologists (or intp geologists) out there who can weigh in on if this is a good field for someone like me to go into?  my other concern is that i currently work at an environmental agency... so i dont want to learn about how to exploit natural resource, which is what my environmental hippie co-workers are telling me geology is all about.  i think it sounds like a perfect job otherwise...?

fromadam2atoms

Holy Moley I am a INTP through and through. I simply typed "what to do if you can't decide on a career" in my Bing search engine and soon after found myself taking a free five question assessment on personalitytype.com. Shortly after viewing the results I felt like someone was reading my life like a book and I started Binging "good careers for INTP's" and here I am. I've combed through most of the posts on this thread and can definitely relate and sympathize to a LOT of what's being said here, WOW. At least I have some direction now but there's still a LONG road ahead. I'm 32, married with three children five and under and need to come up with a plan sooner than later. The pressure has been intense as of late and I can't seem to get the hour glass out my head. In any event I feel a sense of relief that things seem a bit more defined for me this evening! Maybe this is a new beginning for me maybe something miraculous will transpire? hopefully!

lost

If I may, fellow INTPs, just too familiar. The whole art thing dream was shredded by my mom (she did the best she could, but alas, I still blame her ). Friends from junior high/primary school who haven't seen me since then always seem to expect that I would have become an artist. I was fairly talented and always skinned them, not to mention passionate about it. I have zero mathmatical ability, a few tests say otherwise, but I just couldn't be bothered with it through high school.

I found some old report cards, I was consistently top 3 in my primary education. During high school and the consistent school switching began the terror .I dunno, I'm probably borderline aspergers or something as I seriously did not get it, whatever "it" was.. I would be dead last during the term, and pass the exams being just in the top 50%. I'd occasionally top a subject or two when no one was looking. It seems though I was doing just enough to pass on purpose. I stumbled into 2 colleges, with excellent qualifying results, and duly failed to complete either...

Bordering on being homeless, I found a computer, picked up a few books, and hacked away. I didn't have any choice. Now though, I can't see myself doing any other thing. Like many here, I am/was far more attracted to the arts but computing seems to come naturally to us. I genuinely loath math, or at least how it was presented to me, but that is not important for most coding tasks it would seem. You just need to be thoughtful, and logical. "Logical'. Beautiful word, isn't it? Not to mention, it improved my way thinking, imo. Even if just as a hobby, I reccomend you guys try some programming.

Bear with me, English is not my first language

jay

Hi, I'm Jason and am a 38 year old INTP.  I can relate heavily to all of the posts I've read here.  I've known about being an INTP since I was about 20, since my parents used to use it for their business.  Even though I knew about it, I always failed to use it to my advantage - I was more interested in figuring out how the universe exists.  As far as careers go, well here is my story - hopefully some of the insights I've gained can help some other INTPs.

First off - I was kind of lucky in that I always had friends in high school that would give me a hard time about being a "dumb ass".  Because I tended to talk slow, was awkward in social situations, and often times they just didn't get me.  It drove me nuts, and I've always wanted to prove to these people that they are the dumb asses, and I am much more intelligent than them.  It gave me a drive to complete things (like college).

I didn't study in high school, it was too boring, but could ace math tests without studying, and did well enough in other subjects to get into college.  I went to college, but didn't know what to major in and almost flunked out my first year.  Anyhow, after trying business, and biology - neither of which I was good at - I majored in Chemistry and Math since my lazy ass didn't need to try very hard in those subjects.  I finished and got a B.S. in 6 years.

After college I got a few Chemist jobs for about 4 years, but with a B.S, chemists basically work like a factory worker, performing the same tests day in and day out - boring.  So I decided to get a M.S. in Software Engineering, since I always liked computers, and there are so may new problems to solve in this field.  I got my M.S. at 30 while working full time as a chemist, and went to school at night.  I wanted to drop out every semester, but my wife really encouraged me to finish.  It really really really helped to have someone push me to complete it.

I immediately got a software engineering job when I was done, and that is still what I do today - I'm in my second position in this field.  I really enjoy it, but am lucky that we're developing a product from scratch, that has many interesting problems to solve.  I get to design and write code, and get paid well to do it.  If it was simple mindless coding, it wouldn't be the same.

I have never been an actor, but I always think I would really like it and could never get bored with it.  There is no way I would go into it now, but if it sounds attractive to you - maybe give it a try.

So, after writing this it has become quite clear to me that being pushed to complete tasks has been a real help in my career.  Sometimes I am able to push myself, just because I know I will be better off in the long run, but believe me it is quite difficult to do.  Also, doing what comes naturally to me has helped simply because I am naturally lazy and I don't have to work hard at these things.

I hope this helps some of you out there.  I know it's easy to lose interest in things once you've mastered them, and that it's hard to find a job where you're always solving something new. When you're looking for a job, it is nearly impossible to convince someone that you can solve their difficult problems without having the degree and experience to back it up.  You have to suffer through some boring times, until you're in a position where you can "show" people, and not just "tell" them that you are the man/woman that can solve their difficult problems.

In summary:  FIGURE OUT WHAT COMES NATURALLY TO YOU, FIGURE OUT WHAT YOU NEED TO DO TO MAKE IT A REALITY AS A CAREER, AND ASK SOMEONE TO RELENTLESSLY FORCE YOU TO COMPLETE THE TASKS TO GET YOU THERE.
stewacide

Same story as everyone else here. I'm 27 years old, with that nagging feeling of being left behind and running out of time. Got a university degree in international relations/development because it was diverse enough that it wouldn't bore me to death, but with no real intention of turning it into a career. Was in the military for a few years, and while it was mostly tolerable save for the red tape and maddening inefficiency, having no control over where I lived prevented me from pursuing any hobbies of my own and prompted me to get out.

I'm caught between (a) holding a job that's 'tolerable' - i.e. that leaves me unsupervised doing something mindless - in order to have the money and energy to pursue my own interests on my own time, or (b) making a career of either consulting or being a serial-entrepreneur; something that's diverse and antonymous enough that it'd keep me engaged.

Like others here, I'm not the least bit interested in the approbation of others, which relieves the financial pressure of 'keeping up with the Joneses', but the latter course of un-steady employment and financial in-security has me too frightened to take the plunge. Along the lines of professions that would allow me to operate as a 'hired gun' for a finite period, I've been considering both field geology and international marketing/distribution. As far as not-objectionable but not especially engaging employment goes, I've thought about being a letter carrier or a park ranger, but worry that as with the military I'll get fed up with being in one place if not the job itself.
Bluemoon1227

As expressed by a great many contributors to this forum, I feel that I can identify pretty strongly with a lot of these stories I've read thus far.  A bit about myself: I'm a 29-year-old INTP, IES Strong Interest type, and 5w6 (but this changes nearly each time I take the Enneagram).  Since I was a kid I've loved working on problems that seem to have no solution, at least not one that anyone else would be able to find quickly or easily, then I would get bored as soon as I figured it out... normal for us.  I went to college and started in computer science and after a few changes in major (including creating one of my own, which the school allowed) I graduated with a B.S. in Applied Economics.  

It turned out that I really enjoyed thinking about the more abstract problems in Economics, but in the real world found now way to pursue that interest.  I also knew I didn't want to be an academic.  I ended up bouncing around a few jobs.  After a few I realized that I can't work for any organization that doesn't allow me the autonomy that I need to be happy.  I became a real estate agent and found no success.  Then I found equities trading, loved it, but ran out of money.  I joined the Army (HOOAH!) and actually liked it with the exception of having my superiors around all the time... why wouldn't they just go away?  Upon getting myself honorably discharged after 9 months of service -- which was a problem that I created for myself to work on and a challenge I thoroughly enjoyed at the time -- I saw a career counselor.  I had a great experience with her and learned a lot about myself, but began to feel that there was no real solution to my problem.  At the same time, the equities trading bug started to get to me again.  I found a firm that I liked and joined them.

Well, now I find myself taking on two part-time jobs that I can barely tolerate just to put some money together to start trading again because my firm shut down 2 months ago.  Trading and poker are the only two things that I've found that can keep my interest, but these are both endeavors that involve a great deal of risk and risk management.  Success is highly uncertain and I'm sometimes unsure as to whether or not I should pursue trading as a career considering that all-told I have about 2 years of experience in the field and I just learned to be profitable in the three months before my firm shut down.  But even with having learned to do that, I was taking losses due to difficult market conditions.  This is a tough problem and, unfortunately, it's not one that I'm really enjoying as I'm also feeling the pressure of a desire to be in a romantic relationship and maybe start a family in the next few years.

What I now know I need:
- Autonomy
- A bottomless pit of problems to solve
- The freedom to select what problems I work on
- Working from the location of my choice (preferably home)

Recently I've realized that what I want is a job in which I'm thrown into a back room somewhere and given problems to solve without the necessity of talking to anyone as long as the job gets done.  I don't enjoy working on mundane things.  I like to be called upon only when there's a real problem to solve.

I love being an INTP, but it's really a pain sometimes.
Wazzick

I had to chuckle as I read through these posts resonating with most everything. Here I sit - 28 years old - googling "best jobs for an intp."

I have been spending the past 6 years trying to find my place in the education field. I have a B.S. in mathematics so I went to work talking to people about mathematics and getting paid for it - not bad considering we INTP's often enjoy explaining things we understand well. Dealing with students, paperwork and administration soon got the better of me. Went back for a M.S. in environmental education. Not because the content was particularly interesting but more so because the program allowed me to travel and study in a very interactive and hands on fashion.
 Big heads up for those INTP's heading to school soon, look for a program that meets your needs. My program allowed me to travel on a retro-fit school bus with a group of like-minded people and study the environment, culture and education. When I began to struggle with the syllabus, I worked a deal with my adviser and was allowed to rewrite it. My point is that choosing a program that fits your style, or allows you to contour the program to your particular style, may be the difference between completion and frustration/boredom. Now if only I could find a boss with the same mindset as my grad. adviser!

After my grad degree was completed I did the typical INTP bounce. A year teaching here, a year working in a program there... All of my jobs were loosely related to education as some part of my intuition guides me there. I am currently teaching middle school science and it's a mixed bag. The problems I have to tackle aren't exactly what I'm looking for and don't have that "one perfect solution" that I really enjoy arriving upon. I am however very good at creating analogies and activities that are engaging and interesting for my students. I struggle with classroom management because I appreciate the spontaneity of my students. This gets us off task and could even take away from the education of some students who don't appreciate it as much, maybe some of those SJ's. Also all of my current classes contain teaching assistants or team teachers, with this I feel a pressure to stay on task, exact and very by the book - this may be slowly killing me. I teach from 7:30 - 2:05 and it takes all the energy I have to deal with the social stimulation of the experience, I go home wiped out and spend a couple hours sitting quietly.

I think INTP's can make fantastic educator's but the current public school model might not be the best choice. Alternative education programs or even college-level programs seem to be a nicer fit. I've been thinking about starting my own eco-tour business. How's that sound, kayaking and hiking around in the woods educating people on the environment, stewardship and nature?! Of course, I am continually 2nd guessing this concept and feel it would be an enormous leap [maybe start as a summer project]. I've worked for a couple non-profits that do something similar. The amount of paperwork and bookkeeping is daunting but we INTP's shouldn't forget the other personality types that were put on this planet simply to help us out.

Another [guilty pleasure] career path I've always thought would fit an INTP would be finding music for movie soundtracks. I have not looked into this profession at all and have no idea what INTP unfriendly challenges it might hold.

Recently I found this game fantastic contraption and have used it within my science class. I love it, obsessively, and to the point where I will wear wrinkled clothes to work - too busy playing a computer game - that silly INTP time loss phenomenon. http://fantasticcontraption.com . I bring this up, because I feel these games might help us through those times when we just need a problem to solve. [if anyone knows of a profession that will require no additional education on my part and allows me to work on tasks similar to those expressed in this game, I'm all ears.]

Lastly, and only mildly related, does anyone else think T.S. Elliot's "J. Alfred Prufrock" was/is an INTP?

http://www.bartleby.com/198/1.html

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Copyright © Michele Caron, 2002-2014