Career and Success Resources

Discussion

Testimonials

Help

My Life Coach Discussion
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 6      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next   »
jamesbrighton

Hi there, this is a really interesting discussion...

I am a typical INTP, though I'm kind of borderline I/E, though I prefer my own company to 'recharge my batteries' I do love spending time with people and can be quite gregarious and sociable.

Career wise, I am totally stuck in a rut.  I'm in a job I really don't like, which involves a lot of routine, boring tasks and working with people that I don't respect intelligence wise (though they are lovely people).  I'm realising I just don't like to be told what to do. The problem that I have is that at 32 I don't actually have a specific skill set that is easily transferrable...and I'm really questioning if I want to be working in an office at all.

I have been trying to work out what type of career change to make, one that will offer me creativity, flexibility, variety and also a decent income.  I've recently been thinking about completing a life coaching course and partnering this with a personal fitness training qualification to become a kind of "change agent" helping people improve their bodies and minds through the achievement of their goals.

My question is, from your own experience, do you think this is a viable career that will afford a steady and decent income?  I know that life coaching would give me a lot of satisfaction, I just worry that it wouldnt' give me the material benefits that I require.

Can you share some of your insider knowledge!??

Thanks

James
mylifecoach

Site Owner
Hi James,

Well, I totally see why you aren't loving your job situation! 

The coaching/training idea certainly could be a good one, and I am assuming you have very strong interests in both of those areas.

As far as income goes...I don't think it would be a guaranteed thing that you'd be able to make lots of money.  However, there is all the potential in the world that you could do great.

The same rule goes for anyone...If you are pursuing something because, best you can tell, it is in alignment with your gifts, interests and values, and you are already personally successful with a happy, healthy, balanced life...There is every reason to think you'll make a success of it.

[This is for everyone too...If you haven't reached a certain level of personal success and happiness, you might want to start there...Rather than expect a new career to *make* you happy!].

Thanks for the great question, James.

katty

Hi,
I just discovered I was an INTP after failing my second year of college (Physics). I had overdone the 'social activities' and subsequently went into depression. Do you think I may be bipolar? Or ADD? Or did I do all of this precisely because I hadn't read about my personality type and hence didn't know what I was doing in college?

audiobrew

I am an INTP, and I need professional help.

For the first 28 years of my life, I thought there was something wrong with me.  I tried to seek out ways to correct my inherent flaws, like joining the military.  And, it was not until I was leaving the military that I found out who I really was, that it was not a bad thing, and that the military was the last place my personality type should be.

Six years and four jobs later, I am completely stuck and psychologically spent.  I started my forth job about a month ago, and it is not what I thought I signed up for.  I guess I am too abnormal to understand the psychotic job requirements of companies these days.  Where I thought I was going to be a departmental problem solver and process improver, the job ended up being more about getting product designed quickly and out the door.  But, if I have time when I am all caught up to help them improve their processes, then they would like that.  It's like having to keep my room clean every single day before I can play each day.

And, that is another thing I do not understand about job listings.  They so often want do-everything Supermen, but only want to pay Jimmy Olsen wages.  Take my situation.  The job was advertised as a multi-hatted Project/Plant/Product Engineer position, saying, "As the President of my company I am looking for a dynamic person who has the ability to take on projects working with customers, the drafting engineering organization, the purchasing group and finally production in order to get the product made in accordance with the customer specifications."  But, on my first day, I was handed a review checklist for Product Designer that began with the following job description, "Prepares engineering plans by drawing components and parts. Prepares rough sketches; final drawings; identifies and verifies specifications; modifies drawings; resolves discrepancies; maintains data base; maintains technical knowledge; contributes to team effort."  I guess I should have seen the situation developing as such, but even if I kept up with the design schedule enough to work on the interesting problem solving, there is no place in my annual review to account for my problem solving contributions.  On paper, I will be graded on just the design work - and most of the requirements are about maintenance, accuracy and timeliness.

How does this company not realize that a person who is efficient at cranking out timely designs will not be so good at improving processes?  How do they not realize that finding someone to solve their process issues would not be the best choice to have focus on routine designs needed on a tight schedule?

I have a wife, three kids, a mortgage, and a ton of debt.  So, taking certain risks are out of the question.  However, I am tired of not being where I would like, professionally.  Although, I cannot tell you only one thing that I want to do.  I can tell you that I would like to find a lucrative job, close to home, where I could spend my day autonomously solving problems - not having my contribution relegated to insignificance.

I am good at rooting out inconsistencies and solving complex problems.  And, I know that I cannot last at this company forever.  Now, the only question is, "What now?"  ... And, "How?" ... And, "When?" ... And, "Where?"

Help?

bfoster

Pro Member
Hi Katty,

Overdoing the social scene at college is pretty normal and not an indicator of ADD or Bi Polar. If you are concerned that you might have one or more of these, you would have to be tested by a registered psychologist.

It seems much more likely that you are being guided by your own self-sabotaging behavior, which we all have to some extent. I notice you did not mention any regret about failing college. If you were not that thrilled about studying physics, or about the types of jobs you would get with that degree, is it possible you sabotaged your degree by staying up all night?

Before you take another step, check in with yourself and find what you truly love. You can find some good career assessment tools on career sites or on My Life Coach.

Coach Bradley
Featured Coach on My Life Coach

bfoster

Pro Member
Hi Audiobrew,

I agree with your statement that companies want Superman but only pay Jimmy Olsen wages. And as you pointed out they often have unreasonable job requirements. I empathize with your situation because the way the job market (especially engineering) is going strips each job down into a highly specialized niche that doesn't allow for flexibility or creativity. Staying at your job may well grind you down and make you unhappy but if you stop for a moment and look at the big picture you can take heart that you have some valuable skills and strengths to sell in the job market. As a creative initiator you have an entrepreneurial drive that given the right product or service will be a huge success. That might mean becoming a consultant, starting your own business or joining an innovative startup. It sounds like your purpose in life is to make things and processes work better. A good place to start is with your own life. You can start that journey by understanding that your strengths are unique and not that there is (or ever has been) something wrong with you. Once you own your inner Superman, employers will line up to pay you Superman wages.

Thanks for joining our forum!

puravida

Wow, I am glad I found this site! All of the above discussion is exactly where I find myself. I am 28 (around the same age as everybody else) unable to find a job I love, bounce around in hobbies and jobs due to boredom. (Also, I have changed Masters programs 3 times and spent 7 yrs in the military and felt lost after I got out)... and to top it off just got engaged to somebody who is nothing like me and super frustrated with my personality and what he calls "indecision"!

I am seeking a life coach/guidance/counseling or even empathy/understanding and friend who understands my feelings. My friends are sick of hearing about my indecision, or better yet, decision and then mind-changing along with the dismay I constantly feel in my job. I am generally a very happy fun-loving person.

Before I found this site, I was convinced that I was going through a quarter-life crisis and seemed to be the only one. My engagement is hanging on by a thread as I try to analyze my life and figure out what is wrong with me. I am an INTP borderline I/E and T/F. After moving around my entire life, my fiance wants me to stay put on the other side of the country from my friends and family. I want to travel the world, meet new people and find an international job somewhere.  He thinks that I want to leave him, not the location (he will never leave the area), and does not understand me or even attempt to.

So in addition to being an INTP that already has enough problems with finding happiness in life and work, I threw in the possiblity of a failed misunderstood marriage.

My question is...how do other INTP's deal with marriage and stability, or staying in one physical location/city/state? Am I the only one that allows this trait to affect my love life? Or are others affected in the same manner?  Please help... I am confused and feel so lost in life right now. I don't know what is right for me, and I a keep analyzing all scenarios, but feel I am not getting anywhere.

mylifecoach

Site Owner
Hi Puravida!

First, I want to remind you that you have a rare personality type.  What works well enough for a typical person may not suit you in life, in many spheres.  Some of your friends may not understand you!

You certainly do need stimulation and challenge.  Do you feel your desire to move around and see more things is a true, innate desire?  If so, you will probably benefit personally and professionally by trying to do so...Of course, you'll have to figure out how much you *can* do and still have your marriage work, if that is what you want.

There is a good INTP and relationships page here:
http://www.personalitypage.com/INTP_rel.html

As an INTP myself, I do travel a lot and have lived many places.  It's never gotten in the way of relationships for me, however.  I'd love to hear from anyone else that has had similar experiences to yours!

puravida

Thank you for your input. I do feel it is an innate desire. I speak English and Spanish and feel the need to help in people in countries south of the border. However, he will never be able to leave Maryland, this is a huge challenge and constant battle that I have internally on a daily basis.... stay in Maryland be unfulfilled and be with a wonderful man, or leave, and fulfill my desires, but wonder what may have been. So even finding a traveling job is an option, but one he is not prepared to settle for as he wants children asap. Thank you for your input and I look forward to seeing how others deal with similar situations as well!!
Pendragon

Wow I am so glad I stumbled onto this page, especially amongst the mass of other sites that provide very impersonal and bland explanations of this personality type. It is truly a relief to hear from actual INTPs themselves and what they are going through in terms of career choices. "Career" is a funny word, and to me it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I am sometimes envious of those who follow a very linear career path, yet I value my freedom and flexibility to the utmost, even more than a paycheck. I do not need a job for social validation, I want to find whatever it is that will satisfy me, my lifestyle, and my needs as an INTP. 

Before being diagnosed as an INTP by my psychiatrist, I thought many of my traits were flaws. My refusal to follow a typical well established career path (following many people before me who have done the same thing) led many around me to think my thoughts were delusional and/or arrogant. Ultimately I began to think this as well, but fortunately held true to myself and ignored it for the most part. But after being diagnosed, and after reading all these posts, I wouldn't change it for any of the other personality types. Now I will sacrifice almost anything to keep these traits and the life they allow. There is no better way to live life than as an INTP, no matter how difficult it may be at times; And the constant questioning and un-accepting of merely everything that is accepted can send one’s mind laps around the anxiety pool. However, I feel this is part of what gives an INTP their strengths. Going against the grain is not always pleasant or easy. But it is what we must do. In the words of Mark Twain, "Whenever you find yourself on the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."

Every post on this thread, reads like it is from my own life; that is how closely I can relate to all of them. Yet they are all fascinating and enlightening in their own unique sense.

I don't think Googling "Best jobs for an INTP" will be satisfying to most INTPs, at least it wasn't for me. Some of the sites came across as too ‘textbook’ and ‘matter of fact’, and I was growing restless with the search results I kept encountering. The existence of this forum enables INTP individuals to finally communicate with one another and exchange likeminded ideas and thoughts. I have never knowingly run into an INTP on the street. They are rare, and not so easy to identify. It’s great to finally hear real words from real INTPs for a change.

I have dabbled in countless activities/hobbies/sports, just as many of us have. Many of which became short lived passions for myself. I am still searching relentlessly for that one passion that will click, the one that will not bore me over time, and that I will be happy doing for life... Heck, even for just the next few years would be nice.

Currently my main passion is flying helicopters. And I have been going circles in my head weather or not I want to pursue this as a career. Knowing my tendencies makes it a great fit and not a great fit at the same time. As a private pilot I have the freedom to fly when I want, to wherever I want. I know I have the ability and competence to fly for a living, yet being an INTP, I question it endlessly. And like many of the other INTPs on this forum have expressed, I am afraid that once it becomes a job and I'm told what to do with it, it will become like everything else, and it will quickly lose its appeal and my passion for it. Commitment and Passion run parallel for me, thus if I'm not 100% passionate about it, I won't be 100% committed. And for safety’s sake, I do not want to fly under anything less than a perfect 100%. It is my passion now, and I’m still at 100%, I’m just afraid this passion could dwindle like so many other of my passions have.

It’s one thing to be an okay lawyer or an average performing accountant. It won’t kill you. Being okay or just average as an airman can cost you and others their lives. Yet, this extreme cost provides me with an ultimate focus I have rarely experienced elsewhere. When in the air, everything on the ground ceases to matter. It is the ultimate escape that provides boundless freedom. The only things that matter are confined and controlled within the cockpit.

I don't really have a clear question... I guess I would just like to know your impressions of an INTP pursuing a career in aviation, and making the jump from private pilot into the commercial world of flying. Do you believe this would be a good fit for this personality type? (Keeping in mind that any non-entrepreneurial or non-creative venture will force an INTP to make certain sacrifices to create an income). I am frozen right now and do not know how to proceed. Thank you for reading this and any response would be helpful.

-pendragon

puravida

My father is an INTP and was a private pilot. He had a little cessna that he flew daily, then it became weekly after a year, then monthly after the next year, then once every few months after about 5 years. Last year, there were major floods, and he lost his plane to flood damage (everybody was ok though). Since then, he has debated purcahsing a new plane, or joining a local flying club where he can have access to rental planes. In this last year, he has done neither, and now, although I doubt he would admit it, the loss of his plane is a blessing in disguise because he was not using it as much as he hoped to. It was a great passion  for him, and he had wanted to get his pilots license since he was a teenager. He finally accomplished the goal in his late 50's and 5 years later, he was bored of it. We are INTP's. I am not sure that there is anything that can fulfill us or sustain us for a long period of time. I'm not sure that we have passions that can last a lifetime, or the ability to understand why one stays in the same job for 20-30 years doing the same thing everyday.

On a little bit different note, I just finished reading "The Power Of Now" a gret book that is really helping me learn about myself and how to control life a bit more. I, like you, would never want to give up being an INTP, because I am very unique. However, I think that there are some aspects of it that are probably not allowing me to make the best decisions possible. As you can see (a few posts ago) I was to get married, recently I called off the marriage in hopes that there is something better out there for both of us. Now I wonder what it is I am truly seeking. I know being an INTP plays a large role in my relationships and jobs (I have changed jobs 5 times in 2 years). My hobbies change once I become bored of something, on occasion I will dabble in each hobbie again a few years later, as I have all of the equipment for them (horseback riding, silversmithing, gemstone setting, painting, wood burning, jewelry making, selling various products, making websites).

We are a strange species, like butterflies, and we put ourselves in situations that make us feel trapped and cause us to find something new. Whether it be a hobby, relationship or job, we may never be truly satisfied.

With that said, I think that becoming a professional pilot is a good idea, because you will likely get bored of flying privately anyways. At least you will get paid for it for awhile. I would say, have a backup plan in place for 5 years down the road when you may not enjoy it.

I realize this is a fairly negative post, but it is just where I am at in my life as an INTP   Good luck with whatever you may find yourself doing!

mylifecoach

Site Owner
Great discussion, everybody!  What a coincidence, puravida!

It's funny...I wonder if it even matters how long our passion for things lasts as an INTP?  For some people, a passion may last a lifetime, and for an INTP maybe a much shorter time!  Our society is currently set-up more for the non-INTP, but you know what, the trend will be much more towards creative, flexible career/lifestyle solutions in the future (as many of the systems we have now clearly aren't working anymore).  So really, we INTP's are blazing the path.  I think we should strive for the most fulfilling life we can, knowing that contributing our talents will go right along with that.  If that means changing directions more frequently than others, do we need to judge that?  If we remain true to ourselves, I believe we will find success, INTP style.

Including my high-school and co-op jobs, I've been a pool attendant, waitress, restaurant manager, pesticides directorate analyst, hospital biochemistry lab tech, biochemical engineering tech, research coordinator for a CSA/NASA project, sleep tech, medical software applications specialist, database programmer, clinical test engineer, consultant and life coach!  That is quite a list, now that I see it!  Personal freedom, doing things I love and making a contribution are the most important factors for me in a career.

Pendragon, sounds like being a commercial pilot *may* work well for you!  I'd ask myself, if I were you, how much I enjoy some of the really picky aspects of flying, not that I know much about it, but all the details, checklists, pre-flight checks, safety measures, etc.  If those parts don't bother you too much, and you can use your great powers of concentration to do a great job with those, I think you'll love the variety, self-mastery and freedom.

Can you be self-employed as a helicopter pilot?  Obviously, self-employment fits the INTP quite well.

I guess my main point of this long post would be to make sure you let go of societal and personal expectations/judgments in order to have the clearest of reads of what would really work for you.

scholesy

Hi fellow INTPs,

If you haven't figured it out, I too am an INTP and also having trouble and uncertainty of what I'm going to do with my life career-wise. I've just finished my university degree (Business - Operations Management) a couple of months ago and have been looking for jobs.

I haven't had much work experience and have only worked a total of 6 months. I'm 22 and had my first job at 19 at a retail store for 3 months before losing interest/wasn't too good at it before getting another casual retail position but it didn't work shortly after cause the store wasn't busy enough to call me for work...stupid I know, there was no need for them to hire then. So my work experience hasn't been great but is it because I am an INTP? Maybe, maybe not.

I could get a temporary job just to get some money in the mean time but in the longer-term, I'm not sure if I want to chase a career that is related to my studies...before entering university, my first preference was to study a Sports Science degree in the hope getting a job in a professional sports team as a physio or a coach...but I didn't get the marks for it so I ended up accepting my 2nd preference which was the course I completed.

My course was basically about measuring performance like the inefficiencies of a business and improving operations to get better results. I ended up sticking by with this course till the end cause I liked business but now I'm not really sure if business is for me...it may involve a lot of interpersonal skills, it may be a little too cut-throat...but on the other hand my sister, who works at a call centre, said that her Operations Manager just sits and looks at performance measurements on the computer and tries to improve it (I'm good with computers, I just don't want to do that as a career and it will bore me). Not sure if its suitable for an INTP is it? Your input is needed!

However, I've thought of the idea of coaching a local junior soccer team this year in the hope that I can eventually get a career in the sport (for pure enjoyment) but have no idea if it's a good career to live off financially. I can obtain a coaching certificate to be qualified but realistically may start as an assistant coach however. I have played in my local team as a junior and senior for a few seasons though. It's after-hours voluntary work where I don't get paid a cent but I will enjoy it, it's good experience and will look good on my resume.

I've followed the sport since I was 13 (I'm now 22) and still love it and have been deeply passionate about it since! Though there have been times where I tend lose my enthusiasm for it, only to miss it and get involved in it again. As an INTP, I tend to analyse the game very thoroughly...I observe and analyse the tactics, the positioning of players, the way player's move and how they should, and how they should pass the ball. It's fun to watch for entertainment as well as to observe and analyse.

The thing is, being a junior sports coach is not related to my studies and sports coaching even at a professional level may not be a wise career to live off financially...especially when I live in a nation that isn't so soccer-crazy, so this may not be the smartest move.

I also have a great interest in travel, especially flying on a plane...I love going to the airport. So I guess a dream job for me would also involve some travelling around the world. At the same time, I do enjoy writing (which you can probably notice from this very long post) and at one time did like the idea of being a sports journalist covering the sport of soccer...so travel, goto soccer matches, then write about 'em seems like a dream job but I don't have a qualification in journalism whatsoever so where do I start from here...and to be honest I don't think I'm a great writer compared to others out there and probably won't be a great interviewer or journalist. Is that the case for INTPs?

Only yesterday did I get a call from a friend interstate saying that she can talk to her manager (she works in some finance area in a government agency) and try to hook me up with a job. It's somewhat related to my studies so its good for career-progression...so it may be a smart move, only thing is I'll have to move interstate but I do have some family there.

Then a couple of days back I saw a job advertisement for a 'Traineeship in Logistics and Administration' which is definetely on par with the course I studied, and its more of a specific area of my course which is great. Basically in this trainee program, I will work and earn a salary whilst studying, I get discounted travel benefits, and opens doors for international travel and all aspects of import, export, and freight logistics industries...that is what is stated on the advert. This seems like a great program where I can get work experience related to my studies and gives me travel benefits. However, I'll need an answer on this one...is the area of logistics suitable for INTPs?

The interstate job opportunity my friend offered and the traineeship job advertisement I saw seem like the smartest things to do at the moment. But it all comes down to the simple question and I'm back to square one...would I enjoy it? Do I really want to do this as a career? My thoughts are in a constant loop!

Or should I try and be a local junior soccer assistant/coach for now in the hope that it will be a starting point for what could be a career in sports? Or perhaps try sports journalism which may be a harder area to start in this scenario I'm in. I will be involved in the game that I love but is it the smartest move? Is it good careers to live off by financially? Would I still enjoy this kind of job/career forever and a day? I may find that it isn't what it's cracked up to be. These options would be the bigger risk but may be the more fulfilling.

So many alternatives to choose from...I'm at a crossroads. Should I just get into business or take the greater risk at the road less taken?

Thank You for reading my life story so please use your INTP insight to help me out with this. I have talked to my family, though I haven't actually poured it out the way I did. I just need some help.

Cheers,
kl12

Hello All,

A relative of mine introduced me to the Myers-Briggs about a year ago, and I discovered I am an INTP. Every description of the type matched my personality quite precisely. Like many of you who have posted on here, the biggest challenge is finding the right career. After graduating college I worked on productions of commercials, and hated the long hours and lack of creativity and control. The following year I moved into education, and worked with special ed students. The year after that I worked at a different private school with special ed kids, and the following year went on to teach high school mathematics at a public school. So like many of you out there, I've switched jobs on a yearly basis, and moved back and forth across the state. Last year, I made a decision to learn graphic and web design which I love, but again, the constraints of the job descriptions are frustrating, and in these economic times, it is not easy to switch careers. Also like many of you my interests and hobbies vary from dance, art, writing, architecture, web design, travel, etc., etc., etc. I still can't figure out if I'm a mathematician that can do art, or an artist that can do math.

Also like many of you, I have applied to, and gotten accepted into many Masters programs, but then second guess myself, and retreat. Committing to something for more than a year, for a large sum of money, and a significant amount of energy is definitely a fear and weakness.

The bottom line for our personality type is that we need a lot of control over the tasks we are assigned, flexibility in regard to time, creativity in all aspects of our work, the time to solve problems in our unique way, the trust and respect of our bosses, tasks that use multiple skill sets (as many of us have more than one), and on top of it all, a paycheck that reminds us how valuable we are. Essentially, we are wonderful employees, but only if the boss/company knows how to best utilize all of our talents. And more often than not, this is not the case, we get bored, and need to move on to something new. It is a very tough cycle and I wish I had the magic answer for myself and other INTPs who are thoroughly frustrated with finding the right career.

Are there any INTPs out there who love their job and have made a career out of it?

Best of luck to everyone! We need it!

tonix

I'm an INTP. I am a freshman in college. Like many of you I have gone through a long phase of indecision (mainly because I want to do EVERYTHING lol).
I am also, an audio person.I play several musical instruments and love music and languages. I am also very good at math and science. By accident, I got to know the job of audio engineer. It deals with complicated system analysis and creativity in musical composition. It sounds extremely ideal for me but I don't know what to major in to become an audio engineer. My school doesn't have a computer department. I'm at Tulane University and it cut its computer Dept. after Katrina =( Any suggestions?
gardener59

Hi everyone. I've just spent the past hour reading the INTP posts. They are interesting and amusing. I too am and INTP, female, and at 49 years old, still searching for fulfilling work. I especially sympathize with those of you who are primary providers for your family. I've been fortunate to be able to be a stay-at-home mother for much of my life. I have a wonderful husband (he can't decide on his MBTI) and 6 children. I've really enjoyed being a wife and mother primarily because it has allowed me to pursue many interests. I love gardening and have developed a lovely, but small garden lot. I also LOVE old houses. My husband and I have renovated three. I am sort of obsessed with making this one perfect. My husband is talented with a hammer and saw and has done most of the work himself. I design. I also have run a relatively profitable day care business in my home for 8 years. I even went back to graduate school to work on an Early Childhood degree, but stopped just three classes short of finishing because I decided that there was no work in this field that I was really interested in doing. I taught junior and high school for a short time, but the sensory stimulation (loud, obnoxious, disrespectful kids) was too much to bear. I am now trying to move out of the day care business, but, like many of you just can't figure out where I'd like to be. At my age, many of my friends are thinking about retiring and here I am just getting going. I've been trying to use logic and reason to make a decision, taking into consideration the cost of additional education, my age, my unwillingness to dedicate too much of my self to work that isn't 100% fulfilling. I'm afraid that I'm left with very few ideas. Fortunately I don't have to replace a large income like some of you. Apparently we are must an unusual lot. For what it's worth, my father worked many satisfying years as a land surveyor and a civil engineer. He was very happy in his career, although he has spent much time lately developing different "collections" like coins, antique glassware, etc. He learns everything there is to know about something, and then moves on to another collection. Yes, he is and INTP! I'll be back again. I've really enjoyed meeting others like myself. When I was younger, I also thought that I was just an oddball, a societal misfit. I've produced at least 2 children just like myself, and at least I can tell them they are not misfits and can guide them better than I myself was guided.
erin23

Hi Robin,
Although I am not an INTP (I am a ENTP) I am a life/career coach and provide career assessments for my clients (and actually was just talking about this topic on my blog). Its very interesting reading your post regarding where you are at in life and all that you have accomplished thus far! Sounds like you have done quite a bit of diverse things and been very successful. It also sounds like you have a pretty good understanding of yourself as an INTP and the way you approach the world.

As with any type the pathways for success and career satisfaction is to use your strenghts and consider your blindspots. As an INTP your ability to see possiblities that do not exist at the present time is huge advantage in finding career satisfaction. Looking past what is known and using your imagination to generate possbilities can really help conduct a successful job search.

As with any type their are many differences between INTP's and taking into other factors such as values, interests and skills will also contribute to your career satisfaction. I am not sure if you ever looked at a MBTI step II interpretive report but it is interesting to find out where you differ in each dichtomy (I-N-T-P).

For example, I learned after looking at my step II results that although most of my facets fall under Perceiving, I was out of preference on one which was methodical (vs. diving in and figuring it out). So I learned that under certain circumstances I prefer to plan specific tasks and value a detailed approach to tasks. So I realized that I may not be as flexible or spontanous as other P's especially within specific situations.. It was interesting to learn how I was different from others of the same type and it helped me focus more on my career search and explain things when it seemed confusing at times.

Well I wish you all the best and as a INTP I am sure you will keep all your career options open to ensure you gather all the important information to help make your decisions! Take care and best of luck.

Erin Suess
http://www.lifecoachingdesigns.com
http://www.lifecoachingdesigns.com/blog

lgdm8

HI. I found out that I was INTP when I was about fifteen years old, and well, now I'm about to turn 21 and still don't know what I want to do in life. I'm a student, and I'm totally confused. I was pursuing a career in business, but I found it too boring. People just annoy me.  I'm so happy that I found this page! I'm kind of relieved, I've known about my personality profile for so long and never really met anyone with the same personality or anyone to understand my situation, and my way of thinking. When I first found out, I found it very interesting that only about 2-5% of people are classified as INTP's. The bad thing was that I was a sophmore in high school, and was considered a "freak" before finding this out, and the teacher revealing it to the whole class didn't help the situation. I didn't mind or care for all the criticism, or what people thought of me, I just hated being put in the spotlight. That was then, now I don't know. I guess I started to believe that my personality traits are flaws, because my family just doesn't undestand me and treat me like I'm stupid because I disagree with them, and it pisses me off. So, I start thinking that I can change my ways, but it never works. Mainly because I like that way I am. I don't know I'm just really confused on what I should do with my life. I was considering of  going into the food industry/ restaurant management business, but backed out because I don't like dealing with people. Then I thought that I would try to do baking.

I just don't know what to do. Any suggestions?
mylifecoach

Site Owner
Hi lgdm8,

Like everyone, but moreso for you being an INTP, you need to embrace that you are different!  Your different-ness and the things that make you unique are your key to a rewarding career direction.

You've talked about things you've figured out you don't like, but what do you like?  At this stage in your life exploring what you enjoy is very valuable.  INTPs need to be "into" what they are doing or they get bored, and frankly pretty grouchy (I'm an INTP too so I can say it!), very quickly.

What are your interests?  What things would you do for free?

lgdm8

Well thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've always really known that I was different, and personally am okay with it. It's just my family, they are not really understanding about anything. Which makes things more complicated. When I was in high school, I was never really given freedom, or space to really get to know myself, or take up any hobbies that weren't handed to me. Reading has always been a hobby, mainly because my mom loves to read (so you could say it was handed to me).

I do tend to get grouchy a lot of the time, and bored very easily. So far everything I have done made me either bored, or grouchy, sometimes both. The funny thing is that most of the things that I have tried, I really am good at, but just bore me.

I pretty much enjoy being in a kitchen, but working with others is very hard for me to do. So, I pretty much figured I would go to culinary school and specialize in Patisserie. This would allow me to work by myself most of the time. I already do this for free anyways, and enjoy it.

I guess I just have to take some time to really get to know myself first. Before I end up choosing something that I've been pushed into liking.

But seriously, Thank You!
This is the first time that I have ever found a website that has actually helped me understand my personality type "classification". Like when I found out, they just said "Here's the results, Goodbye." And that's it. I was fifteen for crying out loud, I didn't know where to get information on anything about this.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Copyright © Michele Caron, 2002-2014